Monday, April 1, 2013

We're Off to See the Wigeon. . .

[Eurasian Wigeon drake, Cape May Point State Park, NJ tonight, found originally by Matt Webster.]

Emerging from the tax accountant's at 6:00 p.m. and discovering it was still daylight, I thought, what better way to celebrate the prospects of a tax return that might cover a new camera body than to run off and chase the male Eurasian Wigeon found by Matt Webster in Cape May today? So that's what I did. The bird was exactly where Matt reported, between Lighthouse Pond east and West at Cape May Point State Park, so one had only to walk in on the red trail boardwalk past the deafening trills of Spring Peepers, lift binoculars, and say "check." With a nod to the 5 Purple Martins circling overhead, another year bird for me. I admit little skill was involved in this endeavor, but it did take the gumption to forego the celebratory beer for an hour.

2 comments:

  1. Don,

    Glad that you located the wigeon so quickly! It was a beauty! I've struck out trying to find this species on numerous occasions this winter. Needless to say, I was happily surprised to find this drake in April :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad, too, great find, thanks! I don't know if stuck around, surprised not to have heard more about it since.

      Delete